Before we begin our next Hand Pieced Quilt Along (more info here), I wanted to share with you some of my favorite hand piecing tools. The beauty of hand piecing is that you don’t need much to get started–just a needle, thread, and fabric!
(Disclosure: Some of these are affiliate links, which means I make a small commission if you buy from them, at no additional cost to you. Rest assured that I only recommend products that I know and love.)
But there are some notions that help to make the experience a little more pleasurable. I like to keep all my supplies together in a tray so that I can move it to different parts of the house (and even the car). I’m always ready to stitch!
My Favorite Hand Sewing Tools
- My favorite needles: I love these Clover Black & Gold needles and Jeanna Kimball’s Straw Needles
- Aurifil 80 wt thread (so thin and strong!), but Aurifil 50 wt. is also wonderful.
- Thimbles: My favorite is the rubber/metal one from Clover, but here are other options.
- Clover applique pins: See those tiny pins? They are so small and sharp and stay out of your way!
- Clover wonder clips: So handy for keeping things organized!
- Sewline pencil: There is just something about the ceramic lead that makes marking your stitching line a pleasure!
- Snips: These ones from Famore are my absolute favorite!
- Seam roller: Not at all necessary, but so handy to press those seams while sewing units together.
- Perfect Piecer: This clever tool makes marking stitching lines so easy!
- Rotary cutters & mats: Olfa makes my favorites, I love the ergo cutter especially
- Nice sharp fabric scissors are handy for trimming seams (these were my mom’s!)
And last, but certainly not least is good light! I am in love with this Daylight Halo Go rechargeable light. It’s portable enough to take it to wherever I’m sewing. It’s very flexible, so I can get the light right where I need it. (I’ve even balanced it on the arm of my chair, but don’t tell anyone!) And a bonus feature is that there is a magnifying glass built right in! So handy!
I’ve also got this Notions video, that goes over all my favorites.
If you are new to hand piecing, check out my video playlist of all the basics. You’ll be stitching in no time!