So many people had fun learning to hand piece last during last year’s Hand Pieced Quilt Along that we decided to do it again! Patty from Elm Street Quilts is co-hosting once again with me. This year’s quilt along is a natural extension of last year’s. We’ve got a sampler full of hand sewing fun and skill-building!
The pattern for the QAL is called Book Club because we named each block after a character from a favorite book. We will share a little more about that with each blog post.
The Book Club: Hand Pieced QAL pattern will be available for purchase on March 2, 2020, for $10. The download will include three pdfs:
- All the instructions for each block and final quilt top settings
- Templates for all quilt blocks
- Coloring page for each quilt top setting
The pattern will feature nine unique blocks each which finish at 9” and offers 2 two settings choice–a wall hanging or a throw sized quilt (see Patty’s version). Quilt top fabric requirements are shown below. More information on backing and binding fabric requirements will be in the pattern.
We will start off with some straightforward blocks to get warmed up and then we will move onto a few with partial seams (so easy with hand sewing!), and finish up with tackling curves. One of the new skills we are introducing is using templates to create the blocks.
How the Quilt Along Works:
- Buy the pattern for $10 (available on March 2)
- There will be nine sponsored weekly link-ups that open on specific Thursdays for you to share whichever blocks you finished that week. Each block shared earns you a chance for a prize from that week’s awesome sponsor. Blocks can only be shared in one weekly link-up – duplicates will be disqualified.
- There will be four Grand Prize winners. To be eligible for a grand prize, you must:
- Share a photo of a completed quilt top (i.e. the flimsy) or a completed quilt.
- The quilt top must be entirely hand pieced.
- Your quilt top must use at least five unique blocks from the Hand Pieced QAL and must be completed.
- You are welcome to change the size of the blocks– but your finished block must visually match the design of a block from the Hand Pieced QAL and be entirely hand pieced.
- Prizes are randomly awarded. Winners will be notified by email.
Each month (March, April, May) we will share weekly tips and tutorials on stitching each block. Because many of the blocks are template-based, we’ve built in a week each month for prep and catch-up.
- March 2: Pattern available for purchase
- March 9: Prep week
- March 16: Evelyn block
- March 23: Jane block
- March 30: Louisa block
- April 6: Prep week
- April 13: Penelope block
- April 20: Cathy block
- April 27: Jo block
- May 4: Prep week
- May 11: Emma block
- May 18: Claire block
- May 25: Elizabeth block
Please don’t worry about falling behind – the QAL is supposed to be fun! Just post your blocks as you finish them.
We’ve got wonderful sponsors who will be providing the weekly and grand prizes.
We will share more details on fabric requirements and other helpful supplies you might need shortly. The pattern will go on sale on March 2.
Brush up your hand piecing skills by making a block from our very first hand Pieced QAL and check out our basic hand piecing tutorials – Marking Stitching Lines (see the video), the Running Stitch (see the video), and Sewing Seam Allowances (see the video).
Stay in touch and join our community so you don’t miss a thing!
- Join our Hand Pieced Quilt Along Facebook Group
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Follow Simply Everyday Handmade and Elm Street Quilts on Instagram
Pin it for later: