The Big Reveal
Ta da! I’m so excited to reveal the quilt that Patty and I designed for the quilt along. We hope you like it and are looking forward to getting started hand piecing!
The quilt features nine blocks, each of which finish at 6” (6 1/2” unfinished). We choose this size to keep the quilt manageable for everyone.
The blocks are made up of basic units – 4 patches, half-square triangles, quarter square triangles, and flying geese. The first blocks in the QAL will examine the construction for hand piecing these blocks in depth. The final five blocks are a little more complicated, but use these basic building blocks. We have chosen to name each of the five blocks after characters in the quilty novel Friendship Album 1933 – Eula, Bess, Dorothy, Florence, and Emmeline!
Instructions will be shared for two different layouts. The first is a traditional grid (my choice) and will finish at 23 x 23”.
The second is set on-point (Patty’s choice) and will finish at 32 x 32 ”.
You can download coloring pages for each layout.
You are also welcome to design your own layout and, of course, arrange the blocks differently.
- New block tutorials will be available every Monday for 9 weeks. The first tutorial is Monday, January 21.
- Sponsored link-ups will open every Thursday and remain open for a week. (A new one will open each time one closes.) Any block you complete that week can be entered. The first link-up opens Thursday, January 24.
- The final link-up will be open from Thursday, March 28 through April 30.
- Prizes will be awarded weekly – keep reading to learn more!
The Basic Rules
- You are welcome to change the size or even the units used to construct the block – e.g. using HSTs to make a flying geese block – but your finished block must visually match the design of a block from the Hand Pieced QAL and be entirely hand pieced.
- Weekly link-ups will open each Thursday for you to link up whichever blocks you finished that week. Each block shared earns you a chance for a prize from that week’s awesome sponsor. Blocks can only be shared in one weekly link-up – duplicates will be disqualified.
- In order to link-up your block, you’ll first share the block via your blog, Instagram, FLICKR or Pinterest. If you don’t have access to any of these, we will offer you the opportunity to email your block. More on this, including a link-up tutorial, soon.
Please don’t worry about falling behind – the QAL is supposed to be fun! Just link-up the blocks as you finish them. Have a marathon sewing session one week and finish 3 blocks? Link them all up and each block will earn you a chance to win that week’s prize.
Thanks to our generous sponsors, we’ve assembled some amazing grand prize packages. In addition to weekly prizes, there will be four Grand Prize winners. The Grand Prize link-up will open on March 28, 2019. To be eligible for a grand prize, you must:
- Share a photo of a completed quilt top (i.e. the flimsy) or a completed quilt.
- The quilt top must be entirely hand pieced.
- Your quilt top must use at least five unique blocks from the Hand Pieced QAL and must be complete.
Aurifil (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Clover (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Colonial Needle (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Daylight (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Famore (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Fat Quarter Shop (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Green Fairy Quilts (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Jinny Beyer (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
Moda (Website | Facebook | Instagram)
OLFA (Website | Facebook | |Instagram)
QuiltFiction (Website | Facebook | |Instagram)
Robot Mom Sews (Website | |Instagram)
Snuggly Monkey (Website | Facebook | |Instagram)
Want to catch up on all the Hand Pieced QAL posts? Click here.
I invite you to join our growing community for the Hand Pieced QAL over on Facebook–it’s a great way to interact with like-minded people and share our love for hand piecing and quilting.
And don’t forget to sign up for the Hand Pieced QAL newsletter to make sure that you don’t miss any posts!
Pin it for later: